"Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths where the good way lies: And walk in it, and find rest for your souls." Jeremiah 6:16
Spiritual disciplines have been practiced for centuries. These “ancient paths” provide pathways to a deeper relationship with God. Learning to understand and practice these disciplines will help you get to a place where you truly experience the “presence of God”.
This class, which meets on Tuesdays from 9:30-11 am from October 2-23, will teach participants about the following disciplines:
• The Prayer of Examen – a devotional exercise involving reflection.
• Lectio Divina – A slow, prayerful digesting of God’s Word. Listening to God’s word with the ears of our heart.
• Self-examination and Confession- Allowing the Holy Spirit to expose areas of darkness, captivity and sin.
• Lamenting- Expressing honest emotions to God when we are hurt, frustrated, confused, betrayed, overwhelmed, sad or disappointed.
The practice of these rich disciplines is a lost art in today’s busy culture. Few Christians realize that despite busy schedules and increasing demands on our time, it is possible to enjoy these spiritual exercises as a means of growing in your intimacy with God.
“Consider this an INVITATION to meet God deeply and fully outside the demands and noise of daily life”.
Even in a world of constant activity, social media, and loud messages competing for your attention, etc., it is possible to “hear His voice”. But learning to linger, and to be comfortable with silence is a challenge for many of us. In order to truly hear from God, we must be willing to wait, sit, stay a little longer and practice listening. We must also be willing to practice solitude. Solitude and silence are most needed if we desire to grow in our relationship with God. Embracing these disciplines will teach us how to connect with God on a more intimate level. To truly know that we have been in His presence!
This class is a four week class taught by Cindy Gaskins and costs $60 which will be due at the first class. Class dates are as follows:
- Tuesday, October 2, 2018, 9:30 am-11:00 am
- Tuesday, October 9, 2018, 9:30 am-11:00 am
- Tuesday, October 16, 2018, 9:30 am-11:00 am
- Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 9:30 am-11:00 am
To register for this class, click the link below. We hope to see you there!
*Class dates and times are subject to change and require a minimum of four participants. If minimum is not met, adjustments will be made.